Sunday, January 29, 2006

Glad to be gay?

I'm a sucker for phone-in radio programmes, and tonight I have been thoroughly enjoying Stephen Nolan on BBC radio Five Live. Well worth searching out on your internet/digital radio thing.
His subject this evening - how do you deal with a gay child.
One phone-in punter, a bloke of indeterminate age, said he would banish all his children if one of them turned out to be homosexual. A mother, whose son had recently come out to her after years of worry, didn't pretend to understand his sexuality but certainly did understand his fear of revealing himself.
Maybe it's a generational thing, but I find it difficult to get exercised about a person's sexuality, and perhaps the Lib Dem leadership election might back me up. Not that I have any sympathy for the Lib Dems. Oh no.
To return to the original question, how would I feel if my son told us he was gay? My answer is, I couldn't give a fuck. I'd be much more worried if he was too scared to talk to me.
And, in other news, it's a great day to be a Dundee United supporter. 3-3. Fucking fantastic. I'm proud to be an Arab!!

0 Old Comments: